Senior Property Manager
Our small Canadian-born business was founded in 1978 and has become a global organization that now spans 120 locations across 20 countries. Our expansion has been rapid, but what matters most is the common belief that drives all 5,000 of our people to be a different type of real estate organization. We believe that the places in which we live, work and play have the power to make us happier and healthier, and we are united by a shared sense of purpose, to have a positive impact on people’s lives. In short, we are a global commercial real estate advisory firm with a simple aim: for real estate to play a leading role in creating vibrant buildings, cities and places that deliver long-lasting social value and economic impact.
Why work for us?
We believe our industry is changing and we want our business to be a company of curious minds, passionate hearts and strategic intelligence. At Avison Young, we are committed to hiring people from all walks of life who have a collaborative style and innovations focus; we believe a diverse and embracing workforce makes for a stronger, more capable and competitive company. We will provide you with a place where you can step up and change the game. Collaboration is embedded in the way we work – our people have the autonomy to collaborate on client relationships, engage teams across the business, lead operations, work collectively on projects, participate in strategy and are ultimately responsible for our growth. Our distinctive Principal-led, privately-owned model puts us in the enviable position of being able to offer every employee the opportunity to own a share of our business, and inspires and allows anyone to become a Principal. This role carries voting rights so our people have a very real say in the future direction and operation of our business. This means that we are able to attract, engage and retain the best talent.
- Oversee the ongoing management and operation of an extensive retail, office and industrial portfolio, including staff and contractor supervision, tendering of operating contracts, and preparation of annual operating and capital budgets
- Where applicable, liaison with outside brokers on the leasing of vacant space
- Coordinate the preparation of lease documentation for all new and renewal leasing
- As required, coordinate the build out of tenant and capital improvements
- Ensure all aspects of tenant lease administration, rent collection and day to day administrative operations are maintained and executed on a timely basis
- Maintain regular communication with senior management and owner’s representatives including preparation and maintenance of monthly management and financial reporting on a wide range of matters.
- Ensure all corporate policies and procedures are effectively communicated and implemented
- Excellent communication with staff, tenants, contractors, support personnel, leasing agents, senior management and owner’s representatives
- Effectively develop and maintain strong Tenant Relations through regular interaction, property visitations and property inspections
- Implement and follow through with owner asset programs and property inspections
- Provide guidance and direction to your team to ensure client and tenant satisfaction
- Such other reasonable duties as the Company or Managing Director from time to time may require you to perform
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing retail, office and industrial properties
- University degree or post-secondary education and RECA license to trade in real estate as a property manager in the Province of Alberta, in addition to industry experience
- Though not necessary, an RPA or CPM License will be considered an asset
- A vehicle is required with a valid Alberta Driver’s License Abstract
- Solid knowledge of building structures, operating systems and physical plant maintenance
- Site development and project management experience an asset
- Working knowledge of legislation which impacts commercial real estate
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of budgeting principles and processes, inclusive of working knowledge in excel spreadsheets and formulas
- Strong knowledge of leasing principles and strategies
- Management skills relating to leadership, performance management, employee relations and tenant relations
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge in accounting procedures and account reconciliation
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including oral and written communication
- Exceptional organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task with multiple projects and deadlines
- Proficient with use of Microsoft Office Suite of Products (specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience with Yardi Voyager 7S accounting software
Avison Young is a collaborative, global firm owned and operated by its principals. Founded in 1978, the company is comprised of more than 2,600 real estate professionals in 82 offices providing value-added, client-centric investment sales, leasing, advisory, management, financing and mortgage placement services to owners and occupiers of office, retail, industrial and multi-family properties.