Our small Canadian-born business was founded in 1978 and has become a global organisation that now spans 120 locations across 20 countries. Our expansion has been rapid, but what matters most is the common belief that drives all 5,000 of our people to be a different type of real estate organisation. We believe that the places in which we live, work and play have the power to make us happier and healthier, and we are united by a shared sense of purpose, to have a positive impact on people’s lives. In short, we are a global commercial real estate advisory firm with a simple aim: for real estate to play a leading role in creating vibrant buildings, cities and places that deliver long-lasting social value and economic impact.
Why Work for Us:
We believe that our industry is changing, and we want our business to be a melting pot of curious minds, passionate hearts and strategic intelligence. Your gender, religion and race are all highly respected, but are less important to us than your ability to step up and change the game. We provide you with a place where you can do just that, with like-minded people. Collaboration is embedded in the way we work – our people have the autonomy to collaborate on client relationships, engage teams across the business, lead operations, work collectively on projects, participate in strategy and are ultimately responsible for our growth. Our distinctive Principal-led, privately-owned model puts us in the enviable position of being able to offer every employee the opportunity to own a share of our business, and inspires and allows anyone to become a Principal. This role carries voting rights so our people have a very real say in the future direction and operation of our business. This means that we are able to attract, engage and retain the best talent from the industry.
The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for select processes and procedures for assigned properties or portfolio of properties. This position will support all positions within the accounting department up to and including financial reporting. This person will report directly to the Vice President of Property Accounting. Communication with other departments and the ability to work within deadlines is integral to this position.
- Prepare monthly reporting packages for various properties which includes income statements, balance sheets, and other internal reporting requirements.
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts with the trial balance each month.
- Timely completion of monthly bank reconciliations that agree with the general ledger.
- Make appropriate journal entries in conjunction with monthly reconciliations each month.
- Prepare bank deposits and post activity in general ledger.
- Perform lease administration as property leases are signed, extended, or amended.
- Code, review, and approve electronic payables in accounts payable portal.
- Support and communicate with property owners and various departments as needed.
- Assist with annual 1099 process for vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
- 3-7 years of accounting experience preferred.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task.
- Previous experience with Yardi or MRI software is a plus but not a requirement.
- Flexible and able to work within time constraints and deadlines.
- Team player that is respectful and professional.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations to email@example.com. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls and no staffing agencies, please.
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
Avison Young practices as an equal opportunity employer in all services locations around the world. We are committed to building and maintaining a workforce diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity.
The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law.
For those requiring assistance with disabilities, information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Avison Young is committed to employing the best talent with the most fair and equitable recruitment practices. Apply with us TODAY!