Property Manager (Healthcare)
Avison Young is the world’s fastest-growing commercial real estate services firm. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, Avison Young is a collaborative, global firm owned and operated by its principals. Founded in 1978, the company comprises 2,400 real estate professionals in 78 offices, providing value-added, client-centric investment sales, leasing, advisory, management, financing and mortgage placement services to owners and occupiers of office, retail, industrial and multi-family properties.
It is our policy to afford equal employment opportunity and, as such, we hire the most talented professionals and invest in superior resources and technologies. The talent of our extraordinary people and the culture and business approach we foster, coupled with the exceptional, creative services we provide and the results we deliver worldwide for owners, occupiers, and investors are what distinguishes Avison Young.
We are currently seeking an experienced Property Manager for a portfolio of medical properties in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. There will be multiple sites, so this position does require some local travel.
Responsible for managing a moderate sized medical office portfolio in an efficient and value enhancing manner that is consistent with the overall strategic plan for the portfolio. Accountable for all business, financial, and management aspects of the assigned portfolio including preparing, implementing and adhering to the approved strategic plan, a budget for each property, developing and maintaining strong working relationships with tenants or occupants, and supervising the day-to-day activities of the engineering, maintenance and other building staff as well as contracted services. The Property Manager will be directly responsible for supervising a variety of building, administration, engineering, operations, or maintenance staff positions.
- Develops and implements the approved strategic plan for the property. Has primary responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the property to ensure that all site operations are in compliance with established policies and procedures, the management agreement, and are consistent with the client's overall objectives.
- Prepares annual budget, monthly financial variance reports, operations analysis, and executive summary reports for the client and ensures that all reports are reviewed and approved by the responsible Portfolio Manager.
- Conducts formal site inspections at least monthly in compliance with established standard operating policies and procedures.
- Monitors and enforces the terms of all lease agreements, the billing and collection of rents and other tenant charges in compliance with leases. Responsibilities include all aspects of lease administration including critical date master scheduling, lease notification and renewal notices.
- Has the responsibility to complete the lease abstracts for all lease related documents.
- Bears primary responsibility for the creation and maintenance of all site-specific documentation including but not limited to property information book, site operating manual and emergency operations manual.
- Has primary responsibility for controlling the procurement and expenditure processing.
- Ensures adherence to the approved budget with primary responsibility for variance reporting; forecast cash flow of property; review real estate tax assessments; and file required municipal reports.
- Ensures regulatory compliance and effective management of risk and liability for both Avison Young and client.
- Coordinates with leasing brokers to quickly turn around vacant space and to maximize occupancy and positive cash flow.
- Establishes and maintains open, positive relationships at all times with tenants and occupants ensuring that all services and needs are met and in compliance with leases and agreements. Conducts periodic visits, inspections and surveys and develops and implements effective tenant retention programs.
- Keeps current of all developments in the local commercial real estate market affecting current or potential value of the portfolio.
- Oversees completion of tenant and capital improvements consistent with local codes and in compliance with leases and work letter agreements to ensure owner and tenant acceptance, timely completion, occupancy and rent commencement.
- Hires, trains, and supervises (directly and indirectly) a qualified team of building, administrative, maintenance, and engineering staff for the property to promote efficient and cost-effective operation.
- Responsible for employee administration, including performance measurement, salary reviews, setting goals and motivating subordinates to meet goals.
- Participates in the negotiation of service contracts with outside vendors to achieve the highest levels of performance at the lowest cost in compliance with Avison Young's values, standards and guidelines for business conduct.
- Supports and provides leadership in a commitment to achieve AY and client expectations for service and business objectives. Consistently upholds and applies the company’s policies regarding appropriate professional behavior to ensure that the values of the firm are exhibited by the actions of the staff.
- Performs other related duties as requested by superiors.
Education and Work Experience:
- Minimum of a four-year college degree with CPM/RPA designation desired.
- Current Illinois Real Estate Brokers license desired.
- A minimum of 5 years working in real estate with property management; 7 to 10 years of experience preferred.
- Medical office management experience is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with tenant improvement construction projects preferred; ability to plan, organize and coordinate multiple projects, ability to read and understand construction specifications and blueprints.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience directly supervising and managing a staff including experience in planning and assigning work, performance assessments, training, hiring, discipline, and development.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must have knowledge and experience with financial accounting in commercial real estate, financial reporting, budgeting and lease abstracting.
- Strong literacy in MS Word, Excel and Yardi.
- Highly organized and skilled with time management.
- Strong customer service/tenant relation skill required.
- Excellent technical facility skills (HVAC, mechanical, electrical and plumbing etc.)
- Excellent communications skills (written reports/analysis and oral presentation).
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits program.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations via Career Builder, or submit via email:
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please, no calls from recruiters. Avison Young subscribes to the spirit and laws regarding Equal Employment Opportunity. Additionally, Avison Young operates in according with a Drug Free Workplace and conducts drug and alcohol tests.