Staff Accountant - US Operations (Rosemont/Chicago)
Avison Young Commercial Real Estate is a nationwide full‐service commercial real estate brokerage firm that boasts a diversified range of services, consulting with owners, asset managers and corporate clients in real estate. As a partner-owned firm, we build long‐term relationships with our clients, offering them professional, intelligent real estate and financial solutions.
An exciting opportunity exists to join our U.S. Corporate Accounting Operations in a fast-paced environment with North America’s fastest growing commercial real estate services company.
The Staff Accountant – US Operations position supports various aspects of month end close activities, including monthly journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, process improvements, and month end reporting. Works under the direction of the U.S. Accounting Manager. The ideal candidate will project a positive attitude, eagerness to learn and a sincere desire to become an integral part of our team.
Month end/ Financial Close:
- Actively participate in the month-end close process, accruals, balance sheet and income statement reconciliations and analysis.
- Compile and review journal entries in compliance with IFRS and support of period end close activities.
- Perform daily and monthly cash journal entries in the general ledger.
- Perform daily and monthly reconciliations of bank accounts.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis including prepaid expenses, accruals, and other assets & liabilities and investigate/resolve variances on a timely basis.
- Maintain fixed assets and accumulated depreciation.
- Reconcile Intercompany for US Markets.
- Review and code accounts payable expenses.
- Support special projects to improve process efficiency and performance.
- Assist in preparation of schedules for external audit including the year-end audit process.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget performance, and management discussion and analysis.
- A highly-motivated self‐starter who works well independently
- Detailed oriented and strong organizational skills with proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple tasks.
- Positive attitude and the ability to quickly respond to management and internal clients.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner, both written and verbal form, well-developed presentation skills.
- Takes initiative with demonstrated ability to create new solutions or methods to gain efficiencies for existing issues/processes.
- Proactively looks for projects to broaden the scope of their experience.
Education & Experience
- 2+ year experience in an accounting role.
- BS in Accounting or Finance
- CPA, or Real Estate Industry preferred.
- Month end close experience a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of MS‐Excel required.
- Proficiency in Word and PowerPoint.