- Location: Downtown Durham, NC
- Size: 16,690 sf on 1.2 acres
- Type of Project: Office and retail
- Avison Young represented a 1915 founded commercial roofing company in the disposition of its 1930’s built operational headquarters, a former Canada Dry Bottling Facility.
- Smashing Boxes was growing rapidly from its founding in the owner’s home in 2010. It was unable to grow its leased space in the nationally renowned American Tobacco Campus.
- After an extensive search, the tenant picked our project to acquire and redevelop into a new headquarters location.
- Converting a blighted industrial space into an edgy Class A property that would excite a young work force.
- Taking an intelligent real estate risk – the immediate area was the last to revitalize in the hotly trending Downtown Durham. Other than a brewery, Smashing Boxes was the first 'for-profit” entity to renovate and occupy a building in the immediate area.
- Full redevelopment to suit our client's needs in a rapidly escalating construction cost environment.
- Converted the building to include other start-ups such as a music production and agency firm called Maison Fauna, owned by the Smashing Boxes founder. Krill, a Giorgios Bakatsias restaurant, will join the tenancy in Fall 2021.
- Provided a major impetus to the area’s dramatically moving revitalization.